Saturday, March 23, 2013

Minnesota, I hate you

The grand road trip. The thing that gave me weeks of anxiety. I fully expected 40 hours of crying. And how many times did Cooper actually end up crying in the car?

Not one.

Further proof that Cooper is the greatest baby of all time.

It was a fun trip- family, friends, and lots of food, all perfect ingredients for a good vacation. We had a birthday party for Josh, Cooper got to meet his family members, we spent time with awesome friends and had a play date, I got to see some old co-workers, we ate, we shopped.... But what I really want to talk about is the weather.


Cooper and Lyla's play date

The coldest windchill in the Twin Cities was negative 87 degrees Fahrenheit.

During this trip it all came rushing back to me, how cold Minnesota really is. I made a last minute trip to the thrift store to buy Cooper a big, puffy, winter coat before we left, thinking I was probably being over-protective and ridiculous. Nope. We used it every day, and Cooper still bawled every time we went outside. I brought my stuff to run outside, one afternoon it was particularly sunny so I checked the weather, it was one degree. I foolishly left my snow boots at home that I haven't worn once this winter and regretted it every day. Next time even if I visit in July, I'm bringing my freaking snow boots.

Most winter storm fatalities- up to 200.

How could I have forgotten so soon that Minnesota is very likely the coldest place in the entire world?
Now that I think about it I remember days where I just never got warm- not by sitting two inches from the fire, not from a 20 minute shower, not from wearing all the clothes I own, and I would think to myself that the only possible way I could ever get warm was if I lit myself on fire. And sometimes, I contemplated it.

Lowest record temperature (without the windchill factor) negative 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

I used to wear two pairs of socks, thermal underwear, and a hat with fur lined ear flaps everywhere I went. Going to church made me want to cry because wearing a skirt was essentially like inviting the arctic wind to form a vortex up your legs. Plus my Sunday outfits always looked ridiculous when paired with snow boots. I remember standing in front of my closet most days thinking there is no physical combination of these clothes that would possibly be warm enough to wear. I should probably start a specialty clothing line for Minnesotans because I have dreamt up a lot of clothing items. Mostly just regular clothes, only lined with whale blubber.

Fastest wind recorded- 121 mph

I remember standing by the front door crying one night telling Josh that all I wanted to do was go to the gas station and get a treat but my wish to avoid the cold was stronger than my need for a treat. And usually nothing is stronger than my desire for treats.

Most snow in one season- 14 feet

Every day after work I would put on three layers of clothes, climb into bed with an electric blanket, and point my space heater straight at my face. 
And then I would get online and look at pictures of Cafe Rio.
It was a difficult place to live in the winter. 

The ten coldest counties in the country are all located in Minnesota.

And this week was no different, it brought back all my traumatic, frost-bitten memories.
So....
Josh's family,
I hereby invite all of you to kindly relocate to southern California. 
You're ruining my life.
Many thanks,
Paige




No comments:

Post a Comment