Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Years Eve Rant

Disclaimer: this post contains too much of my personal opinions and not enough stories about Cooper's boogers.

New Years Eve is my least favorite holiday. I hate staying up late and I looove to sleep. I usually don't think too much about New Years (or really anything besides the different colors and consistencies of baby poop and what they might indicate) but this year I find myself ponderous even! Ever since I was given responsibility of Cooper (I don't know who let that one slip through the cracks) I have been trying to become a better person, since you know, Cooper may actually turn out to be semi like me one day. This involves some personal reflection of my own attitude and a lot of listening to others who have better attitudes (that includes most everyone else.)

Anyway let's introduce philosophical Paige shall we. I've heard a lot of talk tonight analyzing this past year, whether it was good or whether it was bad, and I wonder how we evaluate our lives? Is it the number of trials we go through? The number of "advances" we make? I believe, though much easier said than done, that our attitude, our outlook, our treatment of others should remain the same whether our lives are on an upswing or a downswing. I don't even think I should call them upswings or downswings, they are mere events that happen to us in our lives and it is up to us how we react to them, how we let them teach us and shape us. It's like the zen master story that someone brings up in Sunday School every single week, that somehow still stays with me despite it's obnoxious over-quoting-

a Zen master who observes the people of his village celebrating a young boy's new horse as a wonderful gift. "We'll see," the Zen master says. When the boy falls off the horse and breaks a leg, everyone says the horse is a curse. "We'll see," says the master. Then war breaks out, the boy cannot be conscripted because of his injury, and everyone now says the horse was a fortunate gift. "We'll see," the master says again.


In short, "It is our reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself that determines how our life story will develop." -Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I see 2012 as neither good nor bad. In it I see things I learned, I see people who helped me and people who I helped, I see ways in which I can be better next year. Oh so many, many ways! And I hope that 2013 brings me closer to becoming the sort of person that stays consistent in all things no matter what the year brings.

End Rant.

On a more exciting note I have of course many fun Coop stories to share. 

I've been trying to suction his boogers with a nasal suction and Cooper has now wised up. When he sees me coming with it he buries his face in the carpet so I can't reach his nostrils. Then he lifts his head a little and peeks to see if I'm still holding it, and refuses to turn around until I put it down. Smart boy.

The other day I was watching 24 with Cooper on my lap (I know what you're thinking... that was so ten years ago and Kiefer Sutherland is a dream boat and also you're so skinny. I know, sooo true, and thank you!) Cooper was playing with toys and wasn't watching the tv and then all the sudden he drops his rattle and stares wide eyed and open mounted at the tv so I look to see what has him so mesmerized- it was the black actor who plays President Palmer. I thought for a second and then realized this was the first not-white person he's ever seen! He looked very puzzled and would not take his eyes off the screen.

Still fat, still bald, and not racist. Don't worry.



Happy New Year






No comments:

Post a Comment