Friday, November 22, 2013

Cooper Lately

I haven't done one of my monthly posts on Cooper in a while and he has been changing so much lately. He is just growing more and more into his own little person and we are loving getting to know his little personality.

Lately:

Cooper can build block towers! He can stack three blocks and then cries and throws a fit when he can't get the fourth block to stay up. I'm so proud of his block towers.

Cooper loves to clean. Whenever his sippy cup drips water onto his high chair he grabs the dish towel and cleans it up. Sometimes he spills water on purpose just so he can clean it up. And it's not a quick, sloppy wipe either, he really scrubs that high chair down.

He also LOVES helping with the laundry. So much so that he routinely goes into the laundry room and screams at the dryer in hopes that we will start doing laundry. He loves to transfer clothes from the dryer to the basket and back again. He also loves the vacuum and all of the cleaning supplies (don't worry I don't let him play with them) but what is with this cleaning obsession? I'm thinking of just getting him toy cleaning supplies for Christmas.



Cooper has become very empathetic. The other day he threw a tennis ball at my face (I realize that doesn't sound very empathetic) but when he saw that it hurt me his little face fell and he ran over to shower me with kisses. He would kiss me and then take a look at my face to see if it worked and then give me another kiss. I got like 20 kisses, it was totally worth a tennis ball to the face.

The other day I was trying to coerce Cooper into snuggling me for ten seconds and I started pretend crying when he jumped out of my lap to run away. He turned around, stared at me, and then walked back over to pat me on the back a couple times. Sweet buddy.

Cooper isn't talking too much but it does make the times he decides to talk pretty exciting and surprising. We've even had a few conversations-
Me: you don't throw balls at mama. (can you tell this is a recurring problem?)
Cooper: oh no mama! (And then he stomped away)

(Cooper was crying when Josh left for work)
Me: I'm sorry buddy but dada has to go to work. Do you want to play with mama?
Cooper looked up at me, said "no", and then went and played by himself.

Me: Daddy's coming home!
Cooper: Hide!
And then he went and hid behind the door and jumped out to scare Josh when he came inside.



After worrying that Cooper was possibly devoid of affection, he finally started snuggling his stuffed animals! He particularly loves his stuffed kangaroo and now sleeps with it (someone needs to tell me how to disinfect non-washable stuffed animals...) He is so sweet with it, he hugs it, kisses it, rocks it, and when I go peak at him in the mornings he always sitting in his crib talking to it. I'm so glad he doesn't sleep with his knife cover anymore, phew.

Cooper has a weird fascination with the toilet. Probably because on a couple of occasions we've accidentally left the lid up and he got to have a ten minute splash party before we realized what he was doing. Now he runs in the bathroom all the time to check on it and tries to shove his toys into the toilet whenever I'm sitting on it. It's great fun.

Cooper has become a very good helper. He helps with getting dressed and undressed- he sticks his arms and legs out at all the right times. He responds to commands-
Milk- he goes and stands by the fridge
Breakfast/lunch/dinner- he goes and stands by his high chair
Brusha brusha- he goes and stands by the bathroom sink with his mouth open for toothbrushing
Stories- he goes and picks out a book for me to read and climbs into my lap
Garbage- he walks whatever garbage he picked up over to the trash can and throws it away
Bye bye- he brings me his shoes and my diaper bag
Diaper change- he runs away and hides (hey, he can't be perfect right?)

"Helping" load his bottle into the dishwasher.

Cooper has become a little thief. I am currently missing a debit card, ALL of my tablespoon/teaspoon measurements, one of his shoes, and probably a million other things too. And I cannot understand for the life of me how a grown adult can search the entire house countless times and still be outsmarted by a one-year-old. Where did he hide them?! Though I did find a door stop from the church behind his car seat the other day so I did find one hidden thing...

I've been trying desperately to teach Cooper his body parts. We read books, we sing songs, we drill body parts at every meal time and whenever I ask where something is, his head, or his eyes, or his belly button, he points to his chest. It's the funniest thing. And then I correct him and ask him again and he points to his chest again. He is just really convinced that all of his body parts are in the exact same spot on his chest.

Cooper loves playing in front of the mirror. Sometimes Josh and I peak at him when he doesn't think we're watching and he does little dances for himself and then laughs and then kisses himself. Cooper has excellent self-esteem and I hope that never changes.

Cooper has also been making up his own games which is really sweet to watch. I forgot about the little games you make up with household objects when you're little. He likes to bounce his ball across the ottoman, he likes to take some toys and play with them under the end table, he likes to run back and forth between two certain spots he picks out like a heater vent and the couch.

Cooper has a habit of putting his hand up for a high five whenever he burps. Hahaha. I find it hilarious and I have been trying so hard not to indulge him.

Cooper is an eating machine. He frequently eats adult portions and eats the weirdest foods for a little kid. He loves mushrooms, avocadoes, and Indian food. And of course, goldfish crackers.


Basically this kid is a blast and we love the dickens out of him.



No comments:

Post a Comment